Monday, January 29, 2007

Back in the Old Routine

Another milestone for the year. For the first time this year I got my bike out of the garage and have started cycling again. As far as possible I am managing to stick to my resolution to improve my overall fitness levels. This included a resolution to try and eat more healthly, which I am only just managing to keep.

I decided to not go to far this evening as it has been about 2 months since I last got on my bike. So I just did circuits up and down the hill by the side of my house. The break was due to work commitments before Xmas and the weather after it. I try not to go out when it's too windy. There is something soul sapping about trying to cycle into the wind. It takes so much energy and you just never seem to get anywhere.

I'll tell you what if it was any colder I would have had second thoughts about going out. It wasn't so bad on the slower sections (ie uphill), but on the faster sections (downhill) my cheeks felt like they were going to freeze off. My fingers also started to become numb, which is a definate problem when you need them to operate the brakes at the bottom of the hill. ;-) Next time I'm definately wearing my thicker gloves (supposedly for going skiing so they should be warmer).

T'ai Chi is also in full swing. I attended an all day course on Saturday from 11am until 4pm. All of these courses are run in the sterotypical church hall setting and they all have no heating and are bloody freezing. After a while you do get warm, but things like fingers don't get used much so they were cold for most of the session. Except for during the break when one of the other students on the course brought round warm pasties. There's nothing like a cornish pasty to warm your hands!

Finally hooray for the return of Top Gear, you have been sorely missed. Apparently it won the ratings war for the first time ever on Sunday night. Still, that's what they have to go through to get it, let's hope it never happens again. Here's also hoping that it doesn't curtail their sense of fun.

My sunday evening routine is now complete.

2 comments:

Dogeared said...

I enjoyed Top Gear too - although coming from a road maintaining company, I was half enjoying, half outraged at the road repair thing... you can't just say "Screw everyone else, we're nicking their tarmac". Contracts worth big money would then be held up. It's nice to see something like that from the other side.

Simon said...

I'm glad things are working out for you, resolution-wise. That's always good to hear. Keep it up!