Wednesday, November 29, 2006

It's a Small World After All.

I'm still here!

Yes to quote just about anybody "You know what they say bout best laid plans..." It's not our fault this time though. The customer hasn't finished the actual building yet and doesn't have the necessary clearence from the French Government to cremate. So they asked to postpone it a bit...

... and then an email popped into the inbox this moring from our French office. Basically they expected to be ready for week 52 and they wanted an engineer sent then. Week 52 is exactly as it sounds. The last week of the year. Our reply to that was a firm, but polite "Fat Chance". I'm sure that would sound much more
poetic in French.

Next week is still a go though. I travel out to Strasbourg on Monday from Manchester Airport and won't be back until Friday 15th. So I'm away for about 12 days. There has been some trouble finding me a hotel at the moment because the Chrsitmas market starts in Strasbourg this weekend. Apparently it's VERY popular
and lots of people go there to visit it! I 'm keeping my fingers crossed I get to stay somewhere local.
I'm actually looking forward to it. I'll hopefully get some free time over the weekend to visit the market and maybe get to other places as well. My only worry is that the job has a few problems and I don't get any free time.

Given that I thought I wasn't going to be in the country for 3 weeks (inc. this one). I told the agency not to sort out anymore introductions until the New Year. So in true predictable style, the details of my next introduction landed on my doormat 2 days later. Typical. Still now that I had this week spare, I actually had the time to meet her before I went to France. So last night we went out for a Curry (her choice) before going on to a bar (as we got chased out of the restaurant). I had a really nice evening, we basically talked for most of it (apart from when we were stufing our faces). I'm sure we could of talked all night if it wasn't for the fact we both had work the next day.

I thought me going to France for 2 weeks would be a problem, but in fact she was quite happy to meet up again when I get back. She is actualy very busy anyway during the next fortnight, so it's ideal really. Do you want to know the really amazing thing...

... I actually knew her housemate about 18months ago, but had never met her before last night. It was only during a phone conversation on Sunday night, when I mentioned the ATC, that she actually mentioned she used to live in York and that her housemate was also an ATC instructor. When the truth emerged there were cries of "Oh my God" all round.

How small is this world getting?

5 comments:

Eileen said...

You must try to get to the Christmas market. I've been to the one in Brussels and it was brilliant! Just the thing to get you in to the Christmas spirit! I want to visit all of the markets, but haven't really got round to it so far.

Also, good news on the introduction. It sounds like this one went really well!

Danielle said...

Glad to hear the introductions are going well, especially this one with the meeting up again. Small world indeed.

Anonymous said...

Very small world... keep finding that out!

And hope you enjoy the trip and manage to get to the Christmas market!

Simon said...

Coincidences = scary.

Also, try to have fun in France (I'm reliably informed that it is possible ;))!

CosmicAvatar said...

Da-da-da-DUHNNNN...

Yes, it's a small world. [wink]