Monday, September 11, 2006

Stormy Weather

I feel like a Yo-yo, my net connection seems to last 30 seconds, goes down, comes back up and then goes down again. Obviously this post has been brought to you thanks to notepad and the ability to copy/paste stuff...

...and then catching it on the upswing. I need to check that my enemy is not trying to cut off my lines of communication. Either that or it has something to do with the thunderstorm that's just suddenly appeared out of nowhere outside my window?

Well after last weeks invasion, things seem to have settled down to a war of attrition. Except that I would imagine that ? would lose a war of attrition, there being only one of me and probably an army of several million of them. Still I have manged to remove 2 more of the 8-legged infantry from various corners of my house. Not to call me paranoid, but I do check the ceiling in bedroom before I go to bed as well. ~ Cheers Eileen for putting that happy thought in my head! ;-)

I now have a working washing machine as well. So it turned out to be worth the day-off just get that fixed. I'm glad really, as there was a possibility that the engineer would get here diagnose the problem and then tell me I'd need to wait for delivery of a part! As it was I still had to fork out £90 for a call-out that lasted less than an hour and the fix was just reloading the control software into the machine. Still I have managed to put 2 loads through it today without a problem (apart from those caused by me trying to operate the machine).

On the nearly working front is my bike. I have cleaned it, oiled it and replaced the front brakes + innertube. The rear brakes work, but squeak like a mouse trying to yodel. I'll have to replace those when the bike shop get some more in. The other thing I need to replace is the sadle. I took the bike for a quick run up and down the hill to ensure that I had put everything back together correctly and the saddle just felt like it was made of wood. It's so thin I'm assuming it was invented by an ex-KGB torturer whose's branching out into other areas.

So when I go back for the brakes I'm going to look for a better saddle and also a helmet. Better to be safe rather than sorry, especially with some of the hills round my way. I haven't dared try any yet, but I bet you could get up some speed on the downhill sections.

Thought Provoking Lyric of the Day:
Why must we lose love to ever know love at all? ~ Light of Day - The Divine Comedy

OH what the hell I can't get enough of the chorus either...1...2...3...&

When there's no more lies to hide behind.
And no more tears to cry,
I know we'll be alright.
'Cause even though the skies above are cold and grey.
I'm sure tomorrow we will see the light of day.

3 comments:

Simon said...

Things are looking up! As well as you looking up.

At the ceiling.

For spiders.

One scuttled along the floor while I was watching the telly on Sunday. I thought of you. But I didn't kill it.

Dogeared said...

Last night was ridiculous! After umpteen log ins by you to MSN, I did open a chat window to ask what was with the hokey cokey-ing, but you logged out! Then the next time, I think it was something like "Argh! Stay in or out, it's driving me nuts!"

I figured it had to be your internet connection, but every 2 minutes I got a "ping" and "Andy E has just signed in", and it was getting silly!

Stoopid internet! (hush, my lovely home internet, I'm not talking about you, don't break on me now..)

Eileen said...

Your welcome! I'm all about sharing the pain!