Sunday, September 24, 2006

The Price of Happiness

Most of today has been spent watching the single matches of the Ryder Cup. Being a Golf fan (for my sins) I couldn't really be expected to do anything else. I was amazed at how well the European team played and my congratulations go out to them. Also I must admit that there was a tear in my eye when Darren Clark won his match on the 16th. It's incredible how well Darren was playing considering it wasn't so long ago that he lost his Wife to Cancer.

When I wasn't watching the golf I finally finished piecing my bike back together. I bought a seat on eBay (where else?) and I can quite happily report that it is a much better design for the male form. It's actually filled with that Gel-type material and it is much more comfortable to ride with. I took the bike out for a test-ride up and down the hill a couple of times just to make sure everything is okay. With no problems I'm just hoping for some nice weather towards the back end of the year so that it doesn't just sit in the garage until next year!

I suspect you guys are probably wondering what I alluded to in my last entry. I suspect it wasn't (partially) what you thought. It should be interesting though.

I really don't meet many (any) new people. Between work and all of my evening activities I must be honest and say I don't get out much. Mind you "going out" has never been my scene anyway .If I go anywhere it's usually to meet friends and I just don't really have those kind of "friends" around here. I have friends at work certainly, but I'm the youngest person in the office at the moment and it's very rare that I see anybody outside of work.

All of my real close friends are you guys who have had the delight and fortune to meet via the internet and university. Just imagine those of us who live at the four corners of this country (and the globe), would we have gone on with our lives not knowing each other without the internet?

Now before I go any further these thoughts aren't as depressing as they probably read. As I type there is a smile on my face and it is a situation I have learned to at least become comfortable with. However these are thoughts that have been running through my head these past couple of weeks. I have been wondering what happens now? How do I move forward...

... Well what I actually did this weekend was join an "introduction agency". Bet you didn't see that one coming did ya? Knowing my situation and wanting to become pro-active I thought this to be a possible solution. So on Saturday I went for an interview to join the agency. They interview all potential clients to assess there suitability and obviously to get details as to what people are looking for.

The agency (I'll keep calling it that as it makes it sound like something out of a spy novel) was in the middle of moving offices so they were actually based temporarily in a suite in the Marriot hotel. They were also running late as the hotel staff had forgotten where they had put them and were directing clients the wrong way.

The interview actually went on for 2+ hours. I won't say too much about it, most of the questions would be as you would suspect. What was interesting though was the use of psychometric testing similar to those used by an employer. I had to smile while doing those. Every time I've done one of those I've upset the person assessing them. People like to use them to pigeon hole you to one category or another. Generally I get scores that put me equally in them all, prompting a "I'll get ye yet cully" look in there eyes.

The second interesting thing is the conversation that occurred when the interview moved in the direction of my occupation. I obviously told her I was a Software/Commissioning engineer, but it was the subject of "on what" that we ended up talking for ages on. I'm always amazed how people want to know more on the subject. I suppose deep down people have a morbid fascination for it, that they just don't realise is there until they have the opportunity to find out more! I think my company should advertise it as a perk of the job.

Anyway after going through all that I am now a member of "The Agency". I'll admit here and now it's not cheap. Erm membership is a 4 figure number and I'll just leave it there. Will it be worth it? I won't be able to answer that question yet, but I'm hoping that turns into a definite YES in the future.

So what happens next? Well obviously all my information goes into the system and then we wait. They promise upto 16 introductions in a year (if you need them) and it usually takes about 3 weeks before they send you details of the first one. When things start happening, I promise you my friends will be the first to know. I'm going to be as completely open as I can be on this and I suspect I'll be all the happier for it!

Wow, I've just re-read this lot and it's a monster of a post. If you've got to the end - you deserve a cookie. And if you remind me nest time you see me, I'll be very happy to oblige!

Profound Lyric of the day:

Sacred geometry.
Where movement is poetry.
Visions of you and me forever.

Dark Waltz ~ Hayley Westenra

5 comments:

Danielle said...

I think this is a great idea. I hope it works well for you. I've been thinking about this sort of thing for a while now. If I hadn't had a fairy Jess-mother I think I would have tried this too. There still seems to be a bit of a stigma attached to it, but I don't really see why. It's difficult to meet people if you aren't a pubbing, clubbing type person (and even then it's not necessarily easy). Being proactive seems pretty sensible. I shall be following this with interest.

Anonymous said...

You're the second person I know (closely) who's joined one! My friend joined Match.com.

There might still be a slight stigma, but I think recently, it's started disappearing. Which is good.

Good luck with it, and I hope it goes well!

Helen (I switched to Blog Beta and I don't think I can post logged in if you're not Beta).

CosmicAvatar said...

Good on yer. As for the stigma thing: I'd say dating agencies are far more commonplace these days; in our time-constrained society, any assistance one can get has to be a good thing!

Hope it goes well. I wish you luck in love!

Simon said...

Whilst I'm not sure I'd be wanting to pay four figures, I do think it's a great idea. Good luck to you with it all.

You are the most deserving guy in this regard that I know.

Anonymous said...

[p]Design Most corset prom gowns are designed in strapless or thin spaghetti [url=http://raybanengland.webstarts.com]ray ban outlet[/url] straps . This optical glass brings out visual clarity along with color stability . President of US Barack Obama has also been spotted many times [url=http://ccheaprayban.webs.com]ray ban wayfarer[/url] wearing Ray-Ban sunglasses . You can find Ray Ban shades with large innovative shapes that provide plenty of coverage, introduction [url=http://raybanengland.webstarts.com]cheap ray ban[/url] ultra-trendy styles . Also, every model has a unique model number which you should note down to compare [url=http://www.ukraybansunglassescheap.co.uk/ray-ban-aviator-sunglasses.html]Ray Ban Aviator Sunglasses uk[/url] with the pair of your choice . [url=http://www.ukraybansunglassescheap.co.uk]ray ban sunglasses uk[/url] T . One of the most well-known features the ray ban wayfarer is known for was with its use by Tom Cruise in the popular [url=http://www.ukraybansunglassescheap.co.uk]sunglasses uk[/url] movie Risky Business, which aided to sell over 360,000 pairs within that year.[/p]