Wednesday, July 26, 2006

Phew!

That title is so apt in so many ways. Firstly, the weather. And yes, I'm going to moan about this as well. It's just too damned hot. With my boss on holiday this week I have both office fans pointed in my direction and both windows open and I'm still roasting away. It probably does't help that I have a small electrical panel sat next to me for testing. That's like a small radiator in itself (although unsuprisingly it doesn't help in winter). What's worse is I get home knackered and find it hard to sleep because of the heat. I'm not asking for it to be cold. Just a drop of 5 deg C would be sufficient for me.

Secondly I dodged a bullet today. I finially managed to talk a swedish operator how to set up his PC. This has taken me 2 weeks and has caused me no end of grief. Mainly becasue I set the Pc's up for him before they were sent and 3 days after I get a phonecall with the immortal words "They don't work". Now I come to think of it, that another one that I should have added to the list of things were broken. If I didn't get it fixed today, I'd of had to fly out to Sweden next week for a couple of days. Not the sort of thing I reallly wanted to do at the moment. That would have been a really manic trip!

As you've probably guessed I survived Sunday. I would definately add "what a scorcher" to that phew, when talking about Sunday. There were absolutely hundreds of people attending and it was our job to supply water to everbody while they were outside. We also had to run errands for people with problems. I had to walk halfway across the city to meet a taxi carrying an item from a hotel that one of the ladies had forgotten.

To give you an idea of numbers here is a picture of all of the Womens Royal British Legion banner bearers outside York minster.


And here is the cadet's contribution to the banners used on the parade:

From left to right:

Cpl Fensome, Cpl Triffit and Cdt McManus.


Fensome and Triffit are cadets from my squadron (2487 Easingwold) and McManus is from York squadron. Fensome and McManus are carrying there respective squadron banners. Cpl Triffit was selected to carry the banner of the War widows. Everbody enjoyed themselves and was thoroughly exhuasted by the end of the day.


Cynical Thought for the day:If ignorance is bliss. Why aren't more people happy?

3 comments:

Simon said...

Yeah, the heat is making things unpleasant.

Can you go to work in shorts? You should!

CosmicAvatar said...

If I ruled the world, I'd demand that all offices are fitted with aircon. Blah.

Dogeared said...

I've worked out that me and Debbie are the only two in the office who DON'T think it's hotter than Satan's backside at work. Everyone else is moaning about the heat and loving the aircon, and it gives me goosebumps in a morning! (seriously, if you're hot, fine - put it on just before lunch and it'll cool the afternoon. But the morning hasn't gotten hot at 8 or 9am, why do I have to sit there shivering?

And they have every fan on as well.

All through winter they moan how cold it is, then we finally get some warmth and they want to live in a fridge...

Maybe I was living in like Australia or Egypt in a former life? I have a solution - I should move to Australia! [grin]