Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Back Again, Finally


Big Apologies folks! I'm sorry I've not been about for awhile. This has been due to circumstances completely (well nearly completely beyond my control). My only source of the internet died last week. It was a rather painful death in I.T speak, starting with lots of crashes and delightful windows pop-up which askes you to send an Error report back to Microsoft. I saw that so many that if I actually decided to "Send" any they'd have probably recieved an essay.

The fault was eventually traced to faulty memory. Both sets of chips if you can believe it! I don't know what I did to upset them, but it couldn't be just one, not with my luck. But then it get's worse, I've had to reinstall Windows as well, because certain essential files have been corrupted and the bleedin thign would no longer boot. That coupled with having to re-install other bits and pieces has kept my laptop down for a number of days.

I've not been at work to get on the net either. I took the Friday/Monday off work so I could go visit friends in Cumbria, leaving the laptop on it's sickbed in the meantime. They actually live in Whitehaven as they both work at Sellafield. They actually got married a couple of years ago and the last time I saw them was at the wedding, so it was good to be able to catch up. Lots of our other friends from uni were also there so it was quite the gathering.

Somehow considering the location, there wasn't a drop of rain, or even a cloud in the sky. Plus being on the coast, there was a lovely sea-breeze which enabled us to stay outside most of the time without becoming a sweaty mess! Of course we also had the obligatory BBQ and stayed up until 2am playing poker. We didn't plan on the game taking that long, it just never seemed to finish. Luckily we had a large supply of chocolate muffins (and alcohol for those who were drinking).

Here is everybody posing for the obligatory "group" shot!


From Left to right:
Mark & Hannah (who were our hosts), Andy, Phil, John, Jen, Will

I finally got my laptop running on Tuesday night, so it's going to take me a while to catch up with everybodies blogs. So please be patient. However I now suspect my washing machine is broken (it takes 3-4hours per wash) and it's 2 months out of warrenty. I don't think I'm going to be able to fix that one myself unfortunately.

Bugger!

3 comments:

Dogeared said...

Well you know that saying that trouble comes in threes? Make the third one cheap, will you? ;-)

I hate when computers go wrong, because it's rarely a simple solution!

CosmicAvatar said...

No internet! How horrible!

Stupid things going wrong. I hope the washing machine can be sorted with minimal fuss.

Simon said...

Aww, crap!

And definitely what Helen said!