Monday, May 07, 2007

And so it begins...

Mwa ha ha ha ha *evil laugh*


It's a bank holiday, so guess what I've spent most of it doing? Yep as any good home owner knows bank holidays are there for one thing and one thing only. DIY. And of course there is just one DIY project worthy of the name in my house. The Bathroom.


In our last DIY epsiode as you know myself and my Dad spent the entire day ripping tiles off the wall and putting a few holes in the plaster board in the process. Well Sunday was spent fixing the holes in the plasterboard with filler (evil stuff) and then skimming the walls with fisihing plaster (v. evil stuff). My bathroom could have been mistaken for a solvent factory such was the smells coming from there and oh the pretty colours...


Anyway, today the walls were in a fit condition to actually begin tiling. I never realised how much palnning you have to do before you start tiling. I'd already spent sometime measuring the whole room up and working out hopw many tiles I would need. But we spent about half an hour discussing where to put that all important first tile. As we put the first tile on I couldn't help but feel we should have had "Ode to Joy" balring away in the background and myabe a visiting dignitry or something of that ilk.

We got a great system going whereby I prepared the tiles and spread the adhesive and my Dad put them on the wall and squared them all up. We worked for about 6 hours and below is the result.


So that's most of one wall down. 3 and a bit left to go, plus all the grouting of course. After today I've got high hopes that we might get this finished and that it'll actually look reasonbly good when it's done. When that'll be though is anybodies guess. Our first target is to get enough done so the plumber can come and finish and then I can start having showers again. Then we can finish the rest of the room, probably making the most of the next bank holiday!

2 comments:

Dogeared said...

It's looking good, hope it is finished soon!

CosmicAvatar said...

Dads rock at tiling. What's with that? I look forward to the completed product...