Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Thoughtful

Happy Valentines Day!

Although for me today is just like any other. Except I can't help but reflect on certain things. Especially when they seem intent on ramming it down your throat for the entire day. Don't get me wrong, it's great that a day like this exists. Love is definately a think that should be celebrated and to be quite honest romance is defiantely an idea that appeals.

However to make valentines the more special for those who celebrate it, maybe advertising should be toned down a bit. I would like to think I'm showing my affection because I wanted to, rather than because this is the only month of the year that WHSmith has a rack of cards allowing me to do so.

It was interesting to see how different people at work celebrated valentines day. Some went the whole hog, flowers, cards, chocolates etc. Other's were sightly quiter, but probably no less affectionate. And there were one or two who didn't do anything special (so they say).

Of course being completely honest with myself I do get slightly jealous around this time of year. Being brutally honest I don't make it easy for myself, but that's just the way I am. Even with all this I can still see the humour in it all.

I was stood in the queue for the checkouts at Tesco, when I actually looked up to study who was in the queue in front of me. There were 5 people in all, 4 blokes with baskets full of ready meals and the staples of bread, milk etc. The other was a bloke with a bouqet of Tesco value flowers. It was like somethign out of the start of a comedy sketch. What made me smile though was the realisation that I was stood in this queue and probably didn't look out of place at all.

That put me in a whimsical mood. And as always happens with at this time, I decided to do something on a whim. I went round Tesco's and worked out how much Valnetines would probably cost me if I weren't single. That money is now set aside for a good cause.

I just wish I had some chocolate in the house at the moment!

2 comments:

Simon said...

Now that's a great idea. Excellent!

Dogeared said...

I went round Tesco's and worked out how much Valnetines would probably cost me if I weren't single. That money is now set aside for a good cause.

That's a wonderful idea!