Monday, May 01, 2006

The Media - A Rant

Yes unfortunately I feel the need to make a ranty post. In this case specifically about the English Media. Now I won't name any names in this, but those media outlets involved now who they are and...

... I'm beginning to sound like a headmaster lecturing to the whole school.

Anyway for me this whole thing started when the Football Association (FA) offered the Job of England Manager to Luiz Felipe Scolari. He, after some deliberation decided to turn the offer down. His reasons, were that he felt he couldn't live with the media attention (intrusion) that comes with the job. Of course the media jumped on this accusing the man of messing the country around and the FA of messing up the whole process completely. I felt this was wrong in 2 ways:

(i) The guy had only been offered the job. He has every right to turn it down. it should never have been seen as a "done deal"

(ii) The FA, for once have been completely transparent with the selection process. Going for who they feel is the best man for the job. I feel so sorry for them as they have avoided giving into public presure.

Then to prove Scolari's point. The day he turned it down and Steve Mclaren re-emerged as favourite one Tabloid news paper ran a "sensational scandal story" on poor Steve and he's not even been offered the job!

God's what a counry we live in. I'm all for freedom for the media, but I think we don't half make it hard for ourselves.

Thought for the day: Look before you leap, but you are allowed to close your eyes before you reach the bottom!

2 comments:

CosmicAvatar said...

Dude, I can only agree!

Simon said...

Yeah, it sucks. I also heard that he'd received death threats, which makes no sense whatsoever.