Wednesday, July 04, 2007

I am Here!

A plane old title, that seems innocucous at first, but actually came to mind as I was thinking about something I watched the other day. It's just that it was the last line from one of my favourite anime films (this one) and I was reminded of it while scrambling round for titles for this post! (I originally had some joke about "I can't believe it's not butter".


Isn't funny how the mind works...


... Let me rephrase that isn't it funny how my mind works. ;-)


Anyway there has been quite a bit going on since my last post so let's play catch up.


Last week I was working on site, but with one small difference. The site was actually only 2 miles further away from my house than my office. So for once, I wasn't living out of a travel inn and could instead commute from home. Although the hours each day were still long and it would of been nice if someone else was cooking my evening meals. Oh and I say commute, on somedays I was actually closer to needing an inflatable dingy to reach my destination.


I was driving along a country road coming back from the crematorium and I was thinking to my self "Funny I don't remember this bridge being here?" thinking I was just crossing a swollen river. Then it dawned on me, there wasn't a river anywhere nearby it was actually 2 farmers fields that were under a few feet of water and if it wasn't for the stone walls either side of the road, then my car would have been under a few feet of water.


Yikes!


That wasn't the only stress caused by the rain last week. Part of the new installation was on the roof. Can you guess which muggins was on the roof for over an hour (in the Torrential rain - worthy of the capital letter) checking the electrical wiring when we discovered a problem? Yep that was me. I was wearing my full waterproof gear and I still came down looking like I'd gone for a swim with all my clothes on.


Trust me to be working on the roof, in a month that contains Glastonbury, Wimbledon and the British Grand Prix. It's obvious what the weather is going to be like!



Luckily there was no need for any weekend site work so instead I could devote yet more time to my bathroom! As they say in the movies "It won't be long now" and it won't. The floor is finally fitted. It took 2 of us most of saturday to fit the laminate flooring and it looks much better than I though it would, which to my mind is a definate bonus. We bought the flooring in boxes of 5 planks and it turned out I needed 6 to do the floor. Typical.

But then I had a brain wave and on Sunday we used the remainnig planks to create a matching panel for the side of the bath. So we are entering the final phase. All that needs to go down is the beading to go around the edge of the room (to hide the gaps) and it will be essentially finished. Okay so there will be a small amount of accessorising to do, but that'll be an as/when job.

Which means that with all of the dusty work over and done with, this weekend has become my summer cleaning weekend for the house. Everything is going to be sorted, recycled, dusted, cleaned, washed and generally tidied ready for company the following weekend.

Is it possible to crank up the excitement any further. Let's see shall we...

If you're wondering what has taken up the rest of my time in the last fortnight. Well I have finially applied to go back into uniform as part of the ATC. After filling out the forms (including a security questionnaire with the question - "Have a been part of any attempt to overthrow the legitament government of any country") I got a date for the next stage. An interview panel!

Which happened on Monday this week. The interview was scheduled for 8:45 pm, but didn't end up starting until 9:15pm. It is a panel of 3 senior officers frm the wing asking questions to assess your suitability to go back into uniform. I had applied to become an Adult Sergeant (the lowest adult uniformed rank) and so was asked standard interview questions (who, what, why) as well as the ATC setup and the dreaded "Scenario" questions.

I got:

(i) What would I do if someone came upto me and said they'd seen Joe bloggs taking £10 from the tuck shop?

(ii) What do I think of the Wing Alcohol Policy?

That 2nd one was a really toughie, but in the end...

I passed! Which means as long as my paperwork goes through (takes about 6 weeks), I'll shortly be wearing a uniform.

Needless to say there will be pictures of me i my uniform and the finished bathroom, shortly!

2 comments:

Simon said...

Does this mean... pay?

Dogeared said...

The women do like a man in uniform!