Monday, September 17, 2007

Loves, Labours Lost

I suppose I haven't had a proper update in a while. Believe me I have my reasons, but I felt now the time was right for some retrospective.

When we last left our hero he had just met up with the Big Boss (also known as the Vice President) and although he had come away unscathed the feeling of dread he entered his lair with was still there when he left. And our hero's senses have never let him down yet.

The last month at work can only be described in one simple phrase "sheer hell". Everything that I complained to my boss about reared it's ugly head last month. Lack of communication, more work than I could handle and definately more pressure than I could handle. For at least 13 days of the last month I was the only real technical guy in the entire office. Meaning everything technical came my way.

I have probably left the office on time only once in the last month. So my (slim) social life has been virtually reduced to nothing. And the pressure, oh my god. I know we've all had days where we don't want to go into work, but I was actively dreading it on some days. This is the first time in my life I've really considered taking a "sickie" but my own sense of honesty stopped me in the end.

Also my new medication hasn't helped. I was warned that it might make me drowsy, but oh my god I didn't realise how drowsy it would make me. I have to take it only at night before I go to bed so as to limit its effects. However, there were quite a few days where I wold be falling asleep in the middle of the day. Be it at the lunch table, or even worse at my desk. Thankfully they have decreased my dosage which emans I'm less likely to sleep during the day, but I still have my moments. If I'm active, I'm okay, but if I stop and relax it tends to hit me.

Things have improved in the last week at work so I'm generally starting to get back into the swing of things. People have been returning and my workload has become more managable. I was even cheering up, up until last Thursday.

I got a letter, nothing wrong with that you might think. However this let informed me that the dating Agency I had joined had gone into administration. So after only 2 introductions and 9 months membership, that was it. That was all I was going to get for my money. Galling no?

It wasn't so much the money. That just made me angry. If I'm being honest I'd pinned not a small amount of hope on this company. If not for finding that "someone" but at least improving my local social life and now even that opportunity has been taken away. The final nail I suppose was the fact that it wasn't even through any fault of my own. If it was I probably could except it.

As it is I've had a weekend to absorp it all and I've come to terms with it (my god I make it sound like someone has died). Although I haven't yet decided what to do next.

Oh and why oh why is my blogger suddenly half in English and half in German. Is this some subliminal attempt to integrte me with the rest of Europe?

4 comments:

Simon said...

Awww, man. Sorry about the agency, and the hard times. There are good times in the future, sir. Yes.

Dogeared said...

I'm really sorry to hear about work, and especially about the agency. I hope there's some way for you to get your money back.

Hopefully work will pick up - did you get my email (to your work address, I think I guessed it right)?

Dogeared said...

Oh and my Blog is part German too. The "you can use "B" = bold", on the Published page (the "new window" is German, etc. I've reported it to Blogger along with some other people, and it's on my Blog, Kayte's, yours... must be a Blogger hitch, not something we did.

CosmicAvatar said...

Ich kann HTML-Tags verwenden! How exciting!

I'm sorry things have been so bloody stressful, and that sucks about the agency. I have faith that things will get better.