Wednesday, September 26, 2007

The Internet is a Scary Place.

No really.

Just when you think you've got it all sussed. Something new comes along and waits for you to walk past before jumping out and shouting BOO!

I refer to the interenet phenomenon known only as Facebook. I'll admit here and know I've definately jumped on the bandwagon and followed onto the site. But what I failed to realise what I was letting myself in for. I like to think of myself as fairly clued up, however the purpose of these personal networking site has just passed me by.

My first impressions weren't very good to be totally honest. It just seemed like another place where you could gather with friends (like a forum or at stretch a blog). There also seemed to be a bit of Ego to it. Especially as it allows you to display "how many" friends you actually have. When I initially signed up it wasn't looking to promising.

Now it's taken a frightening new twist. I've gathered up those friends I've been able to find (and if I've missed you don't be offended my time here is limited) and the thing has exploded into life. Oh my good there is so much information going on and messages flying this way and that I have no idea where to start.

I mean blogging is fairly hit and miss for me. I'm very scared that facebook is just going to swallow me whole if I let it. I think all I need is time to get used to it, however I don't know if facebook is going to give me time.

What's also scary about the internet is that it never fails to amaze how stupid some people are. This video is one I'm going to put into my "Combustion Control" traing course, that I give now and again. Remember children Don't play with Fire!

3 comments:

Jess said...

Heh. I'm generally in favour of Facebook, but then it did provide me with the opportunity to reconnect with an old acquaintance who turned out to be living in Austin now. Heath uses those sites like crazy, but then his job depends entirely on networking. Mine does only to a lesser extent, but I have to say it's helped me with that.

Plus, without Facebook and Myspace, how could I find out whether my new crush is actually gay and possibly flirting with me, or whether she's just friendly and I'm an egotist?

Simon said...

Yeah, it's a big thing. You can end up being a zombie werewolf vampire ninja pirate Jedi who reviews movies, draws graffiti (spelling!), plays Scrabble and sends miniature plants.

And I've no doubt there're hundreds more things you can do.

CosmicAvatar said...

It's very insidious. When I first joined, I couldn't see myself spending much time there, but I spend a fair proportion of my time there doing miscellaneous time-wasting crap (as well as catching up with friends, as is the point).